Multiple factors might contribute to unwarranted discoloration of your teeth. While others like age might be unavoidable, others such as smoking and consumption of beverages like coffee, tea, or wine could be avoidable. However, if you cannot keep off such, it is imperative to adopt the best teeth whitening habits if you want your teeth to keep their sparkling white appeal. Among the most used teeth whitening options are toothpaste, trays, and whitening strips, among other products. These methods could work for some people, but they are not the most effective, and they might not yield the expected results or could take time to produce results.
However, if you are looking for a fast-working procedure with immediate results to whiten your teeth, zoom teeth whitening could be the best tooth whitening option for you. Our team of experienced dentists at Northridge Dentist will help restore the confidence and that beautiful smile that your discolored teeth have denied you. Through this innovative procedure, your teeth will regain their original elegant white appeal in an instance.
Zoom Teeth Whitening Overview
Zoom teeth whitening is a laser treatment procedure that helps to lighten any form of discoloration or staining on the enamel and the dentine underside. The process incorporates the use of a zoom light or laser light and hydrogen peroxide-based whitening gel. The two agents are used to breach the teeth, getting rid of unwarranted discolorations.
Zoom whitening presents two systems that allow you to choose the most convenient schedule. These are the in-office system and a take-home whitening arrangement. The take-home zoom system entails taking the breaching gel home and using it at your convenience even over the weekends. This option works impressively at a rate of about six shades in about three nights. The in-office option on the other side entails checking in at your dentists' office. This system works at a rate of about eight shades in one hour. Even better, its short treatment time allows you to sneak in at your dentist's establishment anytime, including that extended work lunch break.
Zoom is arguably among the most effective teeth whitening procedures. It is considered more effective and efficient than the standard trays or any strips and paint gels. Even better, it comes with the following benefits:
- It is the fastest means to whiten your teeth — zoom works instantly, and results can be visible immediately after the procedure. Moreover, it presents several shades according to the patient's desire, up to 10 shades lighter.
- It can be customized — the patient can choose what shade they prefer from the several available ones.
- Zoom lasts long — with the take-home kits for maintenance, zoom offers your teeth a long-lasting sparkling white appeal that you will undoubtedly love.
- It is a safe process with little minor side effects — the slight side effects are easily manageable. Sensitivity is contained by appropriate toothpaste or anti-inflammatory medications.
- Qualified dentists or clinicians monitor patients — choosing the right dentist is a guarantee of excellent service, including monitoring your teeth after the zoom whitening procedure. This way, unwarranted issues that may arise during or after the zoom process can be attended to head-on.
- Zoom's whitening gel can penetrate the tooth to remove the most difficult stains.
- Zoom presents you the opportunity to boost your confidence, which will reflect positively on your self-esteem.
Causes of Tooth Discoloration
The effects of discolored teeth can be quite offsetting. They not only deny you the confidence to speak in public but also prompts you to hide your beautiful smile. Low self-esteem and frustrations are likely to be the results, and such may impact negatively on your other spheres of life. You might be observing the expected dentist's teeth care guidelines such as brushing or flossing regularly and even eating the right foods. However, this might not be enough to keep your teeth sparkling white, hence the need for a more effective procedure such as zoom.
Nevertheless, before engaging your dentist about zoom, it is imperative to understand the reason for your discolored tooth and your type of discoloration. The three types of stains include:
- Extrinsic — This is a type of staining or discoloration that only affects the enamel or the tea’s outer parts. Food, beverages, and smoking mainly cause it.
- Intrinsic — This type occurs within the tooth and is quite resistant to over-the-counter whitening agents. It mainly appears gray and is caused by medications, tooth injury, tooth decay, too much fluoride, and an individual's genetics.
- Age-related — With age, the enamel tends to wear off, making the teeth turn yellow. Both intrinsic and extrinsic variables cause this type of discoloration.
Some of the common causes of teeth discoloration include the following:
- Food and beverages — Highly pigmented foods and beverages can be responsible for the extrinsic type of tooth discolorations. Such could include coffee, wine, tea, cola, blackberries, blueberries, and pomegranates.
- Tobacco, smoking, and chewing are among the most obvious ways to get your teeth stained. Most smokers have yellow teeth due to the effects of smoking. No matter the type of teeth whitening drill you adopt, smoking will always sabotage your efforts. Even worse, tobacco increases the risks of cancer and other gum diseases.
- Medications — Certain medications can cause teeth discoloration. Antibiotics such as doxycycline and tetracycline are also known to result in teeth discoloration if administered to children below eight years.
- Blood pressure drugs, antipsychotics, and antihistamines are also among this category of medications that can cause discolorations. However, this does not mean that you should ignore prescriptions. Thus, you should follow the doctor's instructions.
- Dental Materials — Some types of dental treatment materials used are also known to cause unwarranted teeth discoloration. The traditional metal fillings used to treat cavities cause gray stains. To avoid such, dentists presently use resin composite fillings to preserve a patient's beautiful white teeth.
- Diseases — The teeth' significant parts are the enamel, outer cover, and the dentin, the substance below the paint. If viruses infect these two vital parts, their colors are also affected. Conditions such as tooth decay, cavities, and cancer can cause discolorations. Maternal illnesses that affect unborn children may also alter the development of healthy enamel. Treatment of gum cancer through chemotherapy and radiotherapy is also likely to cause discolorations.
Zoom Whitening Process
The zoom whitening process is not a complicated endeavor. After 45 minutes to one hour in your dentist's office, you will be turning heads with your sparkling white teeth. However, to get the best results and gauge your suitability to go through the procedure, it is imperative to engage your dentist accordingly.
Consultation and Plan
After deciding to get your teeth whitened at Northridge Dentist, our experienced dentists will engage you accordingly. We will explain to you what the whole endeavor is all about so that you can decide on whether zoom is the best way for you.
Moreover, the dentist will examine your teeth and gums to gauge your suitability for the procedure. This examination will also help the specialist to identify your stain in a bid to assess whether the zoom process will work for you. The process will work best if your type of discoloration is extrinsic. With adverse intrinsic stains, zoom might not be the best option.
After our dentists give the go-ahead, cleaning is inevitable before the zoom process. It comes in handy to clean off any accumulated plaque, tartar, or other forms of unwarranted components. If you have an underlying dental condition such as tooth decay, gum infections, or cavities, these conditions are first attended before the zoom procedure is performed. If all is clear, our dentist will schedule an appropriate date for your actual zoom whitening process. The journey to restore the glory of your teeth begins.
Zoom in-house teeth whitening procedure takes about an hour and eight shades in the dentist's office to get your teeth whitened. This process is not only safe but also impressively fast and highly effective. The process entails the following critical steps:
- Teeth cleanup — Your teeth will be cleaned to remove any attached tartar or accumulated plaque that might hinder the working of the breaching agents.
- The check-up — The dentist will examine your teeth to establish your suitability to go on with the process and whether your gums can handle the bleaching agent. An unwarranted dental issue might have developed since the last check-up. If you have any minor dental conditions, they are treated accordingly to proceed with the procedure.
- Preparations — If cleared to proceed, the dentist will isolate your gums and lips and protect them with a special cream that keeps off the bleaching agent.
- For teeth exposure, a retractor is put in your mouth.
- Gel application — The dentist will apply the Zoom whitening gel. It contains hydrogen peroxide.
- Zoom whitening gel activation — The dentist then applies a low-heat light that will penetrate your teeth. Consequently, the hydrogen peroxide in the whitening gel will attach itself to the discolored particles on your teeth, weakening them. It gives you space for oxygen to reach the enamel and whiten it accordingly.
- Application repetition — The gel application process is done twice to give the zoom whitening gel enough time to work effectively.
- Fluoride treatment — After the whole process, you will undergo a fluoride treatment to relax your gums and teeth.
Side Effects of Zoom Whitening
Zoom whitening under the guidance of a reliable and highly experienced dentist is not expected to have adverse side effects. However, minor side effects due to interference with the gums and the consequences of hydrogen peroxide should be expected. These, however, are expected to fade off after several days. If they persist, the patient should consult the dentist accordingly.
Some of the expected side effects include the following:
- Increased sensitivity — After the zoom whitening procedure, the teeth's sensitivity is expected to heighten for several days. The sensitivity varies with patients; some may experience dull aches while others may feel sharp sporadic pains. However, for most patients, the sensitivity is relatively manageable using over-the-counter or prescribed medications. To ease tenderness, you should stay clear of hot or cold foods and drinks. If you have overly sensitive teeth even before going through the zoom procedure, the dentists may recommend the take-home whitening treatment kit. It contains less hydrogen peroxide hence less sensitivity.
- Gum irritation — If your gums are exposed to the whitening gel, this may result in unwarranted chemical burns. It may even prompt the gums to turn color and sting for some hours. However, the injuries are expected to heal after a day or two. It is consulting professional and experienced entities such as Northridge Dentist that comes in handy to help you avoid such burns since this comes down to expertise.
- Over-breaching effects — While the zoom teeth whitening pauses little side effects, too many treatment procedures can yield unappealing results. When the teeth are overexposed to hydrogen peroxide, the enamel tends to weaken or wear away. Consequently, the dentin and other inner tissues may be exposed. It leads to prolonged sensitivity and discoloration since the exposed dentin is not as white as the enamel. Exposure of the internal soft tissues also leaves them vulnerable to infections and injuries.
In case you are considering having another zoom teeth whitening procedure, engage your dentist accordingly. It will help establish if the timeline is right to avoid such unwarranted issues.
After having a successful zoom whitening procedure, the journey to restoring your teeth's glory does not stop. Some recommended aftercare drills will help keep your teeth, not only white but also healthy. These drills further help you manage the side effects while upholding the whitening gel's excellent work. Some of the most recommend drills entail the following:
Forty-eight hours after undergoing the zoom teeth whitening process, your teeth are most susceptible to stains. The slightest contact with a discoloration agent can sabotage your efforts to keep them white. It is imperative to critically consider the type of foods and drinks that you are going to take over this period. You do not want your efforts and the investment you made to be in vain.
To prevent stains, keep off dark-colored foods and drinks such as soda, coffee, tea, berries, and red meats. If you cannot keep off drinks, be keen to use a straw to reduce contact with the teeth. Some form of make-ups such as lipsticks can also cause stains on your teeth hence the need to avoid them for a few days.
After your zoom procedure, some of the allowed foods and drinks include the following:
- White meats
- White cheese
- White onion
- White pasta
- White cheese
- White onion
- White eggs
- White bread
- Soda water
- Coconut water
- Clear alcohol
- White lemonade
Over this period, the dentist is likely to recommend a white diet. Moreover, if you use anything likely to cause a stain, clean off with mouthwash, toothpaste, or chew some gum.
Zoom procedure's results are expected to wear off, but it is up to you to keep the results as long as possible since an extended break is advisable before going for another session. After your session, the dentist provides a take-home zoom solution and custom trays to keep your teeth white. Proper maintenance and use of the take-home whitening solution comes in handy to maintain the whiteness long enough before going for another in-house zoom session. It does not only make you enjoy your white teeth longer but is also cost-effective. Since you spent money on the whole endeavor, you want to get the best out of it.
Side Effects Management
There are several minor side effects to be expected after a zooming procedure. However, such does not last long, and with the right management, they cannot cause a fuss. 'Zinger' or heightened sensitivity is among the expected side effects that can be a little bothersome. To alleviate its impact, the dentist will give you a special anti-sensitivity gel to apply at home. If you feel any sensitivity, place the gel in the custom tray and wear it for about 30 minutes until it calms down.
If the sensitivity is too much for the gel, anti-inflammatory drugs are recommended. You can also buy an appropriate toothpaste that can counter the sensitivity.
Like other teeth whitening procedures, the zoom is not appropriate for everyone. There are guidelines on use that are expected to be followed strictly. The best candidates for zoom teeth whitening process include the following:
- Individuals with healthy teeth and gums — Before undergoing zoom, the dentist examines the patient to determine their suitability based on their teeth and gums’ health.
- Individuals with yellow discoloration; patients with yellow tones but with healthy teeth and gums respond the best to the zoom process.
Zoom is not recommended for the following patients:
- Individuals with restoration work, patients with fillings, crowns, and implants, are not good candidates of zoom. The inorganic elements in these do not whiten quickly. It could result in inconsistent coloration, which may not produce the appeal you could be expecting.
- Children below 16 years — Children do not have healthy and strong developed enamel. Hence, the bleaching agent could cause unwarranted wearing off.
- Individuals allergic to peroxide — The zoom teeth whitening gel contains peroxide, which could be a problem for people who are allergic to peroxide compounds.
- Patients with cavities, exposed roots, periodontal diseases, or melanoma — The hydrogen peroxide in the whitening gel could be hazardous to exposed tissues and roots. Before undergoing a zoom process, patients have to heal from such conditions before they qualify.
- Pregnant Women — Due to the fetus’s safety concerns, pregnant women are advised to keep off any teeth whitening procedures.
- Patients with cracked, chapped, or wounded lips — During the zoom procedure, the lips are stretched, which could be unbearable for individuals with wounded, chipped, or cracked lips.
Zoom Home Products
Zoom is not limited to the zoom whitening procedure done in a dentist’s office. There is an equally effective take-home option at your disposal. It is an epitome of convenience. You can use it wherever and whenever you like. However, its results are not as fast as those of the in-house option; that is, it takes longer to deliver the expected results. This option dictates wearing the whitening gel for between four to eight hours to get the desired results.
The take-home zoom system presents two credible options that you can adopt at your convenience. Here are these options.
Zoom DayWhite Option
The DayWhite Option entails wearing the custom tray for a short time, between 30 and 90 minutes. It delivers results in about two weeks.
If you prefer whitening your teeth at night, the NiteWhite is the best option. It requires wearing the tray for between two and four hours. It also provides results in two weeks.
How to Use the Take-Home Zoom Options
Both the DayWhite and NiteWhite take-home zoom options are applied in the same way. The difference is the period of wearing. The DayWhite is to be worn twice a day, preferably in the morning and in the evening, while you can wear the NiteWhite throughout the night. The application steps entail the following:
- Brush your teeth — This will help remove accumulated plaque that could stand in the gel's way
- Apply teardrop-sized whitening gel into the custom tray
- Place the tray gently over your tooth
- Remove the tray after the recommended time frame
- Clean off the gel with cold water
- Brush your teeth again
Find a Zoom Whitening Dentist Near Me
If you want to undergo the best zoom teeth whitening procedure in Northridge, CA, Northridge Dentist is here for you. We offer professionally tested and accepted zoom whitening services at affordable rates. Our highly experienced team has the necessary skills to dispatch the best dental services to keep your beautiful smile and overall dental health. Call us at 818-875-0216 and schedule a convenient appointment with us.